Rudolph E. Loewenstein
5031 Birch Street, Suite 100
Newport Beach, California 92660
When hiring a lawyer there are many things you should look for. The following biography of Mr. Loewenstein will tell you statistics about him that are helpful but will not really give you all the information you need. The biography doesn’t tell you how much he cares about his clients, that he frets about them and has sleepless nights worrying about their cases. It doesn’t tell you how highly regarded he is by others. It doesn’t tell you that based on 30+ years of practicing criminal law with the utmost integrity, the judges before whom he appears, like and trust him. It doesn’t give you insight into the relationship he has established with the Deputy District Attorneys, based on years of honesty and fair dealing, which translates into better dispositions for his clients. And it doesn’t tell you that his fellow criminal defense lawyers consistently refer complicated cases to him, knowing he has the skill to handle them.
The biography tells you that he is a former Deputy District Attorney but doesn’t tell you how important that is. For years Mr. Loewenstein prosecuted the very crimes he is now defending. Knowing exactly how the prosecutor’s office works is invaluable in defending his clients effectively. Forewarned is forearmed and knowing how the opposition will go about prosecuting the case allows him to more effectively defend it.
The designation Mr. Loewenstein earned from the State Bar Association, that of Certified Criminal Law Specialist, is held by very few criminal defense lawyers. There’s a reason for that. It is very difficult to meet all the requirements to receive that honor. In order to be certified, Mr. Loewenstein had to pass a rigorous exam, show that he has had extensive experience in all facets of criminal law such as a large number of misdemeanor and felony jury trials, appeals, motions and courtroom experience. He had to undergo peer review, where judges, DA’s and other defense lawyers were asked to evaluate his ability. This designation must be renewed periodically ensuring you that an attorney who has received that certification truly is an expert and is allowed to call himself that.
The biography doesn’t tell you what a really nice guy he is. It doesn’t enable you to see the pride he takes in his work, and that he is a perfectionist who isn’t satisfied with a half way job. The biography doesn’t tell you that his extensive preparation, along with years of experience and a superb knowledge of the law is the reason he can get such great results for his clients.
Knowing some of these more elusive qualities about Mr. Loewenstein, along with the objective experiences listed below, will help you evaluate whether he is the right lawyer for you.
J.D., University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law, 1978
B.A. in Political Science, University of California, Berkeley, 1975
California State Court, 1978
United States District Court, 1985
United States Supreme Court, 1988
Harbor Bar Association
Exchange Club of Irvine
Orange County Trial Lawyers Association
Orange County Criminal Defense Bar Association
California Attorneys for Criminal Justice
California Public Defenders Association
Orange County Bar Association
- 1991 Mr. Loewenstein received the designation of Certified Specialist, Criminal Law, from the State Bar of California. He is one of only a handful of criminal defense attorneys in Orange County to be so certified. The minimum requirements to obtain this designation are:
- Must have been the lead attorney in multiple jury trials
- Must have conducted numerous additional matters involving criminal misconduct, including Juvenile Court, U. S. District Court and California State Court
- Must possess a designated level of educational experience
- Must pass a comprehensive written examination demonstrating knowledge of procedure and substantive criminal law and related fields
- Must pass an independent inquiry and review by peer attorneys
- Must receive judicial recommendations
- Must receive recommendations by deputy district attorneys against whom cases have been tried
- Must receive recommendations by judges in front of whom trials have been conducted
- Must receive recommendations by appellate justices before whom appellate matters have been conducted
- Must receive recommendations by administrative hearing officers before whom administrative hearings have been conducted
- Former Orange County Deputy District Attorney
- Past president of the Harbor Bar Association
- Past president of the Exchange Club of Irvine
- Speaker, Continuing Education of the Bar
- Judge Pro Tempore of the California Superior Court
- AV rated from Martindale Hubbell (the highest rating given)
90% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
Criminal Law, State Bar of California
Past speaker, Bridging the Gap, Orange County Bar Association
Speaker, Continuing Legal Education, For New Lawyers, Handling Your First DUI Case
Awarded the designation of Certified Criminal Law Specialist by the state Bar of California. Less than 1% of all attorneys in California are so certified.
Invited to join the Top 100 Trial Lawyers Association and awarded the designation one of the top 100 trial lawyers in the nation.
Judge Pro Tempore, California Superior Court
Speaker, Illumination Foundation, "Cleaning Up Your record"